This sheet-pan dinner uses seasonal veggies like squash, golden beets, cabbage, and red onion to create a delicious bowl. Serve the roasted veggies over farro, a whole grain packed with nutrients, nutty flavor, and a chewy texture. Top this bowl off with salty halloumi cheese, chewy dried cherries and crunchy pita chips and pistachios. Finish it with a white balsamic vinaigrette, and a sprinkle of sumac if you have it.This dish is so flavorful and really filling so you can serve this as the whole meal, or add a protein of your choice.This recipe is inspired by Bon Appetit’s Warm Winter Vegetable Salad with Halloumi
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced in rings
- 1½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ small head of cabbage cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch wedges
- 3 small golden beets
- 1½ lb. winter squash (delicata, butternut, etc. sliced crosswise ½" thick)
- ½ cup pita chips
- 8 oz. Halloumi cheese, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground sumac (optional)
- 1 cup uncooked farro, you can use rice or quinoa to make this gluten free
- ¼ cup dried cherries
Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper.
Mix garlic, salt, crushed red pepper, and 3 tbsp oil in a large bowl. Add cabbage, onion, golden beets and squash and toss to coat. Spread out on prepared baking sheet (keep the bowl nearby) and roast until squash is golden brown, 25–30 minutes. Turn the vegetables over.
Cook the farro according to the directions on the package. Set aside.
Toss Halloumi, and remaining 1 tbsp oil in reserved bowl. Place Halloumi over the veggies and roast until squash is fork-tender and cabbage, onion, beets and Halloumi are browned in spots (cheese should be soft inside), about 15 minutes.
In the meantime, whisk together the white balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil and salt. Pour half over the cooked faro. Set aside the rest.
Place farro in the bottom of a bowl, top with roasted veggies and halloumi cheese. Drizzle with reserved vinaigrette and top with pistachios, crushed pita chips and dried cherries.
Sprinkle with sumac.