Carnitas are typically made by braising pork until it is tender and then crisped up under the broiler. This vegetarian version is quicker, easier AND full of flavor. The best part is that this meal is all made on one sheet pan! This flavorful and delicious dinner combines mushrooms with onions and a delicious spice mixture resulting in slightly crispy and very juicy mushrooms. This recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free and perfect for filling tacos, burritos and even quesadillas! Looking for more taco recipes? Check out some of my favorites!One Pan Ground Pork Taco Lettuce WrapsAir-Fryer Shrimp Po Boy TacosGround Beef Tacos with Homemade Taco Sauce
For the Mushroom Carnitas:
- 2 lb portabella mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 red onion, sliced in ¼ inch strips
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled cheese lime wedges etc.
- Tortillas of choice
For the Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup lime juice, from about 2 limes
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, orange juice, oil, garlic powder, ground cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper until combined. Add the sliced mushrooms and onions and toss until the mushrooms and onions are evenly coated.
- Spread the mushrooms and onion mixture onto the prepared sheet pan in one layer.
- Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring them halfway through.
- Once the mushrooms are slightly crispy on the edges, but still juicy remove from the oven.
- While the mushrooms are in the oven, make the sauce. Combine all ingredients in a blender until incorporated. Set aside.
- Serve the mushrooms in warmed tortillas of your choice with cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, fresh lime wedges and cilantro lime cream sauce.
Yum! I loved this recipe! I omitted the honey so it wasn’t quite as sweet however everything else was followed to the tee. It was great!
Hi Christina! Thank you for your comment. I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe 🙂