Mulligatawny soup is a combination of sweet, spicy, and tangy. There are many versions of this soup; some have chicken, while some are vegetarian, some have coconut milk, while others are made with just broth. I was excited to come up with a savory recipe that incorporates apples, since I have so many from my apple picking trip last weekend. This is my take on Mulligatawny, and it’s picky- kid approved!
Prep Time 15 minutes mins
Cook Time 30 minutes mins
Course Appetizer, Main Course, Side Dish, Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter (to make vegan, just sub olive oil or your favorite non-dairy butter)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp salt, plus more to taste if needed
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated on microplane
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated on microplane
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼ inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into ¼ inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 14.5 oz 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup dry red lentils
- 4 cilantro stems- separate the leaves and chop for garnish
- 5 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth or water (I used water for this recipe)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Greek yogurt, for garnish
Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat until oil is shimmering. Add onion, carrot, and celery to the pot and cook, stirring often until the onions are translucent. Add cumin, coriander, curry powder and salt, and stir until the vegetables are coated with the spices.
Add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
Then add the potatoes, apples, tomatoes and lentils, and cilantro stems and stir to coat. Cover with broth or water and bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook until potatoes and lentils are soft and soup has thickened, about 30 minutes.
OPTIONAL: Puree the soup so it is smooth (I like to do this because my kids can sometimes be picky, and I find they will be more open to trying new soups when they are smooth.)
Finish with heavy cream.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with yogurt and cilantro.
Keyword Dairy-free, gluten-free, healthy, kid-friendly, one-pot-meal, vegan, vegetarian
Leave A Comment