This hearty lentil soup recipe is perfect for a snow day. It is easy, filling and made with mostly pantry ingredients. It is seasoned with a few simple spices and a splash of fresh lemon juice to make the flavors pop. Having a good lentil soup recipe in your repertoire is great for days when you don’t really feel like cooking but want something wholesome on the table quickly. I love how this soup is thick and comforting, and perfect for dunking in hot crusty bread!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 cups French lentils
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp curry
- 1 tsp salt
- 28 oz diced tomato pureed or crushed tomatoes
- 5 cups water vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils, cumin, coriander, curry and salt, and stir to coat. This step gets all the flavor on the base of the soup.
- Now add the tomato, water/broth and bay leaves.
- Stir and increase the heat and bring to simmer.
- Place lid on and turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Remove bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the lemon juice just before serving. Garnish with parsley or cilantro if desired and serve with warm crusty bread slathered with butter!
Leave A Comment