These Healthy Blueberry + Summer Squash Muffins are full of fruits + veggies thanks to fresh summer blueberries, summer yellow squash and applesauce! They are quick + easy to make and are naturally sweetened with maple syrup instead of sugar. Eat these for breakfast, after a work-out or as a snack. These muffins disappear quickly in my house, so sometimes I make a double batch!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded summer squash or zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture with a paper towel (end up being about ½ cup)
- ½ cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, olive oil or melted butter
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp almond butter (sun butter or peanut butter is fine too!)
- 1 egg (or flax egg)
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the shredded and squeezed summer squash, maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil, applesauce, almond butter, egg and milk. Whisk until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Even distribute batter among muffin tins, filling about ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes on wire rack before serving.
Leave A Comment