This recipe is very similar to my Thai ground pork lettuce wraps, but vegetarian! These chickpea lettuce wraps feature all of the major Thai flavors: sweet, sour, spicy and salty. Stuff the chickpea mixture into crisp butter lettuce leaves, and top them with crunchy veggies, herbs and salty cashews. Serve these with a bowl of jasmine or fried rice on the side.
- 1 tsp minced garlic, on microplane
- 1 tsp minced ginger, on microplane
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- ¼ tsp fish sauce (optional- omit if vegetarian or vegan)
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz water chestnuts, sliced
- ½ English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup salted cashews, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- Lime wedges for serving
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, fish sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil and salt. Toss the chickpeas in the sauce and then spread on prepared sheet pan.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until most of the sauce has absorbed into the chickpeas, but they are still tender.
To serve, place chickpeas in lettuce leaves; top with water chestnuts, cucumber, red pepper, cashews, cilantro and mint.
Finish these off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.