This hearty broccoli cheddar soup is full of flavor and uses simple pantry ingredients. The best part is that it is ready in about 30 minutes!
- 2 oz butter
- 4 oz onion, small dice
- 1/3 cup flour
- 32 oz water, vegetable or chicken stock
- 12 oz fresh broccoli (about 1 medium/large head of broccoli, cut into florets)
- 1 cup potatoes, small dice
- ¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
In a heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
Add the flour and mix over medium heat to make a blonde roux (until the flour gets a slight golden color).
Slowly whisk in the water, vegetable or chicken stock ( I used water and the soup came out great!)
Add the broccoli, potatoes and nutmeg. Let them simmer on medium low for about 10 minutes until the broccoli and potatoes are tender.
Purée the soup to your desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper
Add the cheddar cheese and stir over low heat until the cheese melts.